Sunday 25 May 2014

so, this is where I've been

I've not posted anything in over a month now and I'm having to stop myself from even starting, just because I know very well that once I start I won't ever be able to stop and to be honest, I'm not sure where I would even begin, or which incredible experience to share first. Just the thought seems a bit daunting, I'd be here for days with the things I've seen and stories of what it's like here (oh god, I've started). 
Ok here, have a picture, and then I'll carry on...
That's David and I, just, uh, saying oh hay to a big old elephant in our canoe. Casual.

Where was I? What I can say is that I'm quite sure there is no camp in Africa I'd be better suited to. It's romantic; candle chandeliers and flickering brass lanterns under the mopane trees and a sky full of stars, copper hip baths on the sand bank and Swahili style rugs on soft sand on the spillway. The camp has a story, and I discover new things every day, I love it, I am IN love with it. Yesterday I opened up an old wooden box with "The Selous Project" printed on it to find a stack of incredible wildlife and travel books , old leather frames and candles, brass water jugs and leather boxes, all sorts of little trinkets and treasures from Tanzania that were all packed into wooden trunks to be taken to Botswana and it seems some of them have yet to be opened, it's like Christmas!

I get to come up with crazy ideas and try new things, I'm the only laaady in the camp so I'm the "feminine touch" and in charge of all things romantic and stylish and pretty. I poof up cushions and light candles, I organise romantic dinners and picnics in the bush, I have to drink gin and tonics and have to smile so much my face sometimes hurts. It's tough.

Ok here, have a picture (and then I'll carry on)
That's us, canoeing past hippo pool. mmm. Real brave.

  I'm actually REALLY brave. I don't know if I'm brave or just really stupid, but I don't have huge amounts of fear just cruising around camp by myself, even at night, despite waking up to leopard, buffalo, elephant, wild dog and hyena tracks all over camp pretty much every morning. I'm sure something will happen one day, but until then, fearless. I'm quite in love with our guide here, not in love love, just in love as in WOAH he's amazing and I literally hang off every word he says, he's a bushman, and he teaches me things about plants and animals, and stuff. We're kind of best friends. You see, I told you I would do this (and I've not even started on the leopard in camp, or the wild dog kill outside the guest tents or the time our guests swapped clothes with the staff and served a meal to them all). Ok, I must stop, have another picture. I have one gazillion more, stay tuned







Real Time Web Analytics