Monday 16 June 2014

being me

My nomadic lifestyle sometimes causes a few problems for me...

Example:

Me: Hi there, can I please change this €100 into Rands please?

Yes, sure, passport please...

Oh. British passport, you sound South African. Can I have your address in the UK?

Oh, I don't live in the UK

Oh, okay, you just have a British passport? Where do you live then?

Um, well, at the moment, in Botswana. I just work there though. I guess that means I live there, doesn't it? Yes, I live in Botswana.

But I'm a permanent resident in South Africa, I have a permanent residency thing in my passport... my old passport. This is the new one (long story).

Can I please get proof of address in South Africa then?

Oh, um. I don't have anything like that. I don't really know the address, my parents just moved there. I don't really have my own address there. So I guess my address there is their address (is it? that's ridiculous, isn't it, okay scrap that). I don't know. I guess I don't have an address in South Africa

So, you DON'T live in South Africa. Address in Botswana please...

Oh, okay. Let's see... tent 2. In the bush, pretty remote. Um, the Linyanti, on the Spillway, behind the big leadwood tree? Next to the termite mound? No? Nothing? Ummmmm. Okay. I don't really know where I live.

So, what bank are you with?

Lloyds, in Gibraltar. I used to work in the Med. Offshore account. Lost my SA bank card, haven't had the chance to set up one in Botswana.

So where did you used to live when you worked in the Med, do you have an address for there?

Hmm. Tricky. I lived on a boat, so, no address, really. Just sort of... floated around the sea, nothing real permanent.

Okay. Sssssorry my dear, I don't think I can help you today.

Righto
you think I'm a big old crook. I get it.
#justwannachangemah100euros #goddamint


Real Time Web Analytics